Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stupid Girls

I really can’t deny who and what I am. But you know, I have my weird quirks too. I’m not that smooth type of girl. I run into poles, fall off stairs sometimes even chairs, I run into mirror glass doors not realising that they were there – I’m very accident-prone.
I’m not the dainty and graceful female. I really don’t have it all together.
But I don’t ACT stupid.

I intimidate people, or so my friend says.
I’m much too “confident and vocal and in control”. It seems that Australian girls, or women I should say, are afraid of being smart. I couldn’t understand it for the past few days. Why would anyone want to act stupid? Isn’t being smart so worthwhile, and in itself so sexy?
Sometimes in lectures, some silly girl would make such a stupid comment and everyone would laugh at the stupidity of it. The lecturer would sigh a little – having the look of “Couldn’t have expected any more of you anyway”, guys would guffaw at it and attempt to teach the girl, enlighten her and you could practically see the male egos puffing up.
It’s disgusting.

But don’t get me wrong. There are smart girls in my university. Just that these girls are usually from overseas.

Maybe girls do it – look beautiful and act stupid – to attract guys, attract attention. I mean hey, with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie out there (maybe even Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson), it’s probably the “in” thing anyway.
Creating a cultural icon out of someone who goes “I’m stupid, isn’t it cute” makes me want to throw daggers. I feel like saying to them “People didn’t fight for women rights (some are still fighting) just so that you can start telling women it’s fun to be stupid. Saying that to young women, liitle girls? It’s not acceptable.

Maybe I shouldn’t blame these celebrities so much. One could argue that they didn’t create this, it’s been going on for ages ever since Marilyn Monroe. Maybe it’s her fault.
Or maybe it goes deeper than that.

Think back.
When you were a little girl or boy, how did your aunties and uncles treat you?
They’d look at the little girl and in hushed tones and carrying her as though she was glass, would probably say “Aww.. isn’t she beautiful? She’s an angel.. She’s going to be a heartbreaker.. blah blah “ You get the idea. They’d buy dolls and tea-sets for her.
Whereas for little boys, they’re somewhat more rougher, louder and would probably buy all those “smart” toys for them… and their dreams of them would be all in the “smart” kinda jobs.
Maybe… just maybe, it’s in this early stage that creates some sort of “image” that we’re supposed to be or we’re given an idea or what we should be to make others “appreciate or notice” you.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m grasping at straws here.

I’m reading this book now “Falling in Love – Why we choose the lovers we choose” by Ayala Malach Pines. I’m loving it. It’s so profound and I find a lot of what I’m reading true.
The author is a clinical, social and organizational psychologist. Yes, I know.. you may be wondering what the hell is wrong with me. One minute I’m trashing psychologists and the next I’m reading something written by them.
I will admit, I am biased and probably wrong about my whole “idea” about them. Just because I’ve encountered one bad experience doesn’t mean that they’re all trash or the subject itself is trash. Maybe they’re not ALL right… but there is some truth in what they’re studying or saying. And I respect that. I respect them.

And I realise now… it is not by accident that we fall in love with the people we choose.

Anyway, I’ve been quite busy.
In other mundane news, I’ve revamped my room and I’m quite happy with the result. I have a new dresser and chairs. And… I’ve taken a couple of nice pics with my mom and sis… I’ll post them up soon.

Till then.. I’m going to have to study for my Finance Test. Heh.. I beat Anton in the previous one and he’s determined to do better.. and beat me. Hehehe. I can’t let that happen.

1 comment:

Girl said...

I feel that intelligence is really attractive too... but I remember after one Miss Singapore Universe, the girls were panned for being uneloquent (if there is such a word) and a man wrote in to say that men wanted dumb girls to feel smart about themselves. There was a slew of angry letters after that, but the most appalling thing is that several other men wrote in, supporting the first asshole's opinion.

Yeah, I have nothing against stupidity, but the girls who act ditzy to get what they want are some of the most cunning and manipulative ones around. And whether or not it's an admirable thing: it works. I say, screw them. You're smart and should be proud of it. And above all, it's the honest thing to do. :)