Friday, March 10, 2006

The Start of School..

Oh goodness! Updates!

Orientation was weird for me.
It started at 11.00am and I had to be late! Of all the times! Jeez. The public transport here is not reliable, honestly. Or maybe I'm such a pampered Singaporean.
Anyway, I walked into the lecture room with everyone staring at me. A perfect start really.
I was stuck with a group of REALLY shy people. How disastrous! It was so hard for me to break the ice or even speak to begin with.
The thing with me is that when I'm with people who're really reserved, I tend to mimic them. But if you're friendly and outgoing, it's easy for me to be my insane, babbly self.
So nothing much happened. Just briefings, campus tour (which wasn't much use to me because I had already explored the place) and issuing of timetables.
In a nutshell, orientation was uneventful and utterly boring.

I was actually beginning to worry if this was how my university life was going to be like. But you know, it's not too bad.
During the past few weeks, I've managed to make friends with quite a number of people. Mostly locals. I feel like I'm in between, I'm not so sure where I fit in, the asians or the locals.

But anyway. My new-found friends.

Pav, a Punjabi Austalian born girl. I like that she's on the short side, like me. Heh. She's quite okay, a little bimbotic but so far quite harmless.

Varsity, a Fiji girl (she's the epitome of height!) who's so super sweet. She makes me feel comfortable.

Melisssa (whom I didn't want to call Mel, it's just too weird for me), a funky Australian; a karate instructor and pretty down to earth and funny gal.

Tristan. This was a funny story. We were put into groups in my marketing class to discuss some theory and he was really outgoing and smart and the both of us got into a nice little discussion. And then later I find out that he's "half-Singaporean". His mom is from Singapore and his dad is of course, Australian. Heh. He started teasing me about missing hawker food! He knows his stuff.
So anyway, he's the first guy I can more or less relax around. He's a little bit of a "geek" and a good guy. Think Seth from the OC.

Anton, a really mysterious, cute handsome guy who happens to be really smart. What can I say? I'm attracted to smart intelligent guys (but not to the point where you're utterly egoistic). Now this guy, I think, is a bit like me. Can be quiet and reserved and also chatty and outgoing.
Okay okay. So I'm a teeny weeny bit attracted to him (just a bit!) and I'd like to get to know him. We'll see if that happens.

Lorraine. I love this girl's name. Lorraine Tamara Gomez. Cool huh? She's as cool as her name, seriously. Now this is one person I love hanging out with. We have a lot of things in common and I can be myself around her, mostly. At least more than the others. And the best part is that she's staying in Hornsby as well! Just a few streets away.

So yeah.

Besides new friends, I'm flooded with work!
(Well.. actually I'm not really, it's just that the perfectionist and crazy person in me wants to do everything and read so many books.)
I haven't started work yet because I've had to change my timetable and adjust a few things. But I might do so next week.

I find that there's a slight clash with the English here. Most people go by American spelling and I was brought up with the British English. I don't know. I'm not going to change my way of writing. I much prefer Cambridge English.

I know this post is pretty general but don't worry I'll be sure to go into details soon. There's just too much to write about.
Until my next one.



No comments: