Saturday, December 03, 2005

Pieces of an old life

The weather here is so humid.

I love the way my grandma dotes on me. She embraced me with a single kiss, one that so clearly shows how she feels.
You just have to casually mention or comment on how you like this particular dish and the next day, she'd have prepared it for you, as though it was the most natural thing in the world to do. She'll pile on veggies and fruits, urging you to eat and elaborating on the goodness of every single thing she's offering you, lamenting on how you've lost so much weight and how you need your "strength". She'll feel offended whenever I mention eating outside.
Cooking is her way of showing and expressing her love. In that way, I guess I've taken after her. That and my small frame. And maybe other things as well.
I think she needs to be needed. She likes to mollycoddle you, like to take care of you. And she also likes to be taken care of, once in a while, when she can't handle things or when she's sick. I guess sometimes she feels lonely and would like to be reassured that there's always someone for her.
I'm exactly that wat too.
I think I'm her closest grandchild. Or at least I think I understand her most.

No comments: